Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A runner?

Does going for a run three times (in one week!) make you a runner? Oh well, it's pretty momentous for me, so I'm claiming it. I'm now a runner!

My dear friend here, Christa, is my total inspiration. I was whinging to her that I've developed quite a severe rice belly during my 5 months in Bangladesh, (it's not my fault, my colleagues just keep loading my plate and I have no option!) Plus the dodgy footpaths and rickshaw-ing everywhere really doesn't help the cause!

I didn't purposefully exercise for the sake of it at home, but I have realised that the incidental stuff I used to do (netball, dancing, walking places and BIKE CLUB!) meant I was at least a little active.

Fit, gorgeous, yoga instructor Christa, suggested we start running. This would be normal most places in the world. But for women in Bangladesh, it's more than a little shocking! To overcome the heat and general craziness and intense stares of outside in Bangladesh we decided to start running at 6:30am, and Christa had marked out a bit of a 'circuit' on the residential streets of Khulshi, avoiding main roads.

But then the real dilemma came... to orna or not to orna?

It seemed ridiculous at 6:30am to run with a scarf flopping in my face (and I'm not even very practiced at running!) but I have actually never stepped outside in Bangladesh without a second layer of material covering my chest. I know! After much deliberation we decided to embrace our western-ness and go orna-less. Liberation!

All was going well, until I was caught in the rain. My running attire of full length tights and a purple and white loose kameez top that goes to my knees, and yep, it got pretty wet. Now, you can probably imagine what a black bra under a purple kameez looks like. As much as it would add to this story, I decided to spare you a photo. It was ok on the actual run as there weren't many people around, but it was my house guards (who I have to see every time I enter and exit my apartment) I didn't want to shame! So as the guard opened the gate for me, I put my arms across my chest and hurried to the stairs. I'm not quite sure my 70 year old house guard is ready for women's liberation!

But I think this has just confirmed my runner status, what athlete can get through their career without a little bit of scandal? ;)

4 comments:

  1. Makes me think of the book "The Night-runners of Bengal" by John Masters. Not that is has anything to do with keeping fit! It is an interesting account of the Indian "mutiny".
    Yours is another lovely snippet of life in Bangladesh.
    RJT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I'll have to look out for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, loved this after our chat on Skype! But stuffed if I'm coming running with you - think I can deal with the rice belly stares back in Australia than the "Run Lindsey Run" stares in Chitters! Good on you girl, embrace your new status!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. thanks for posting on this bridge! except i'll add that i would not be dragging myself out on the grimy streets at 6am if it weren't for you! thanks for being a fab running buddy AND for saving my life with coffee when i run out!
    xo

    ReplyDelete