Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Being back

Monsoon downpour, at the fishing port in Chittagong
I'm back in Chittagong and feeling refreshed after two weeks away in Beijing and the Mongolian country side. I tell you what, wide open spaces and no people or buildings for miles just does something for a Tasmanian soul!

But as refreshing and amazing as the holiday was, the downside of going away was coming back and seeing Bangladesh again with fresh eyes. Suddenly everything wasn't all new (figuratively, obviously!) and exciting anymore. Where before I thought that having 10 men stop working and take my photo (with their circa 2004 phone cameras) as I walked to work each morning was ego boosting; now, it churns me up that I'm the only woman on the streets, and that's because outside here is the man's domain.

Life in Chittagong is not always easy. The weather is hot and muggy and having my hair touch the back of my neck is often too much! I am constantly reminded of my ethnicity and therefore my wealth and standing in society. As good as it sounds, it can be humiliating to be pushed to the front of a visa queue to be served first simply because of the colour of my skin. I am always being asked for money, and at times I feel lonely even though I'm surrounded my millions of people.

But then something happens, and I'm back and I'm in love again. Like yesterday, a little girl who I didn't know was ridiculously overjoyed to see me when I stood behind her in the line at Khulshi Mart. She giggles and points to her father; "kemon acho" (how are you?) I say, she looses it and can't control her excitement at me as I struck up a simple conversation with her in my very limited Bangla! And suddenly the warmth and openness of the Bengali people flood back into my heart and it gives me tingles.

This land, it's all about the people. And it feels good to be back.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing tugs at the heartstrings for many reasons. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete