Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dewali!

A strange and weird thing about living here in Bangladesh, is that I am somehow perceived as more important than I actually am. People call me "Madam", I get waved through security check points and I get invited to the Indian High Commissioners Diwali party! Now this, I can get used to! 

Dewali is the Hindu festival of light, a sort of light overcoming evil celebration. The High Commissioners residence (the party venue!) was filled with thousands of sparkling fairy lights, they let off some pretty average locally made fireworks, and also let off these awesome and HUGE lanterns! They were so big, they were almost like hot air balloons! It was pretty magical watching them float up into the night sky.



 Fabulous outdoor decorations!
The party was the most party like party I've been to here, there were non-dry drinks available(!!) and also a band, with Bollywood music AND DANCING! Like, lots of full body hands and hip jiggling dancing, and that was just the men! It was this part of the evening that reminded me the most the differences between the Bangladeshi and Indian culture. India is a huge country and has such a mix of cultures and religion, whereas Bangladeshi culture seems to be more heavily dominated by their conservative religion. I miss public displays of dancing.



Glenna and the High Commissioner launching the lantern



Thanks to the fun party, I'm also and have been invited for chai at the Indian High Commissioners house! Oh, and did I mention that I also met the French Ambassador? Happy Dewali!

1 comment:

  1. Please put in a good word for us to get our Indian visas in Chittagong then, as no chance of getting them in Australia now. Beautiful photos! Enjoy your chai. RJ and RA

    ReplyDelete