Thursday, November 15, 2012

Global Hand Washing Day!

Oh dear, I know, I've been terrible! It's been weeks since I last posted! But I'm back into home life now post holidays in Nepal and Bangladesh adventuring with Lindsey, so I now have a bazillion photos to ensure future blog posts can't possible dry up until 2047. 


Before I left for my Eid break to Nepal, I celebrated Global Handwashing Day at a local High School! We organised an afternoon session at a Chittagong High School to demonstrate effective handwashing practice in a fun and interactive way!

It would sound like a strange thing, going to an Australian high school to teach children to wash their hands with soap and water, don't parents teach that kind of thing? In most developing countries, where good infrastructure is a given, that's usually true. But here in Bangladesh, poor water and sewerage infrastructure and access to and knowledge of soap means that training children (and adults!) on hygiene can be life saving!

Handwashing with soap and water is the most effective and inexpensive way of preventing diarrheal and acute respiratory infections, which take the lives of one third of child deaths in Bangladesh each year! Isn't that figure astounding!

Below are some pics showing the fun handwashing demonstrations and set up at South Patenga High School in Chittagong.


No comments:

Post a Comment