Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How Bazar

Last week I had about reached the time in my Bangladeshi experience where the incessant horn blowing and never ending stares and interest wherever I go, was starting to wear a little thin. It was time to get out of the city!

So a weekend to Cox's Bazar was the perfect refresher! 


Some of the other Aussie volunteers from Dhaka had also planned to be in Cox's for the same weekend, so it was relaxing, and social! Perfect! We stayed at 'Mermaids Eco Resort'. The website was fancy and it was really pricy (for Bangladeshi standards!), so I was hopeful, but, after almost two months in Bangladesh, I have learnt that keeping expectations low in this country is a necessity!

So Glenna and I were jumping for joy when we arrived, and the reality really did match the website!


And we could laze around at the restaurant area without our ornas on! Scandalous!

Cox's Bazar is world famous in Bangladesh, as being THE tourist go-to spot. "Oh, very beautiful! Longest sea-beach in the world!" said everybody in my office! (Just don't tell Brazil, apparently they've had the ruler out and kind of contest the Bengladeshi's claims!)

The beach is long enough for there to be only a handful of fishermen and their families on our part of the beach! We still had to swim with our clothes on (bikinis are still too risk-ay around these parts!) but I SWAM IN THE BAY OF BENGAL! It was pretty rad!



A whole weekend hanging out with 10 other bideshi's in a decidedly non-Bangladeshi resort. How Bazar. But totally what I needed! Thank you Cox's Bazar!

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha, what a scandal! No scarves?! And is that a bikini STRAP I can see? So glad the "resort" lived up to expectations! I found Ned and I doing the same thing in Bali the other week - simply assuming the boat wouldn't be anything like the picture, that it would be late, take twice as long etc. etc. Nearly fell off the bloody thing when it was all smooth sailing! Jaded travellers, eh. Robbie and I are already in discussion for our India/Bangli trip in October/November. It's becoming rather epic! Eep! Can't wait to see you and hope you can handle going to the mermaid's retreat again with meeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey I am SO excited at the prospect of you and Robbie coming to visit!!!! I'm planning the itinerary already!! And we will DEFINITELY go to Mermaids! Hooray!! Let's Skype! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I'm glad it was a real retreat and I hope you're recovered from your Banger's lurgy. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sister
    there is no specific dress rule in Bangladesh.
    so you are welcome in cox's bazar in bikini .
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete