Monday, June 25, 2012

Mouldy monsoon

It's been raining here for four days straight. And not just the Tassie drizzle type rain, but real monsoony the-heavens-have-opened-and-I-look-like-I've-taken-a-fully-clothed-shower type of rain.

But apart from getting a bit wet and striding through rushing torrents of water when crossing the street, I have actually welcomed the monsoon season. Cooler temperatures! Less sweat! Well that was, until I discovered the mould. That's right Internet, only two weeks into the monsoon season, where is rains a whole lot of the time and the humidity in Chittagong is 95%, I am finding damp, furry, gross mould growing on clothes in my wardrobe and on my leather belt and wooden jewellery! Yuck! This time last year I remember reading my friend Naomi's blog, who is also living in Asia, she went to put on a pair of leather shoes, only to find they were covered in growing mould! This didn't seem possible. Until now.

It took all my power not to gag while taking these pictures of the mould.

I've got the ceiling fan on all day, leaving the wardrobe doors open for circulation, and have put chalk and some absorbency balls I found at the market all through my shelves and hanging section to try and absorb the moisture. I'm planning on getting a white vinegar spray happening too! Thanks to my lovely Facebook friends who have given me this advice! Now pleeeeeeeeease stay away dampness and mould!
.
.
Oh, and while we're on the topic of monsoons, I'll leave you with some pictures that will brighten your day. The seasonal fashion trend among the working class of Bangladesh - the ever practical and super trendy plastic bag rain hat! Ingenious way of keeping your head dry! You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Not the softshell!!! Noooo!!!!! Yikes, good luck Bridge, hope you find a solution. Still, all part of the adventure, and at least you're high and dry if a bit mouldy... Just catching up on your blogs - loving the pics and the text, feel like you're giving me a real sense of your life and work there. :) Will have to fight with the dodgy internet to talk again soon! Love you lots, keep on shining, Anna xoxox

    ReplyDelete