Saturday, July 21, 2012

Leprosy Hospital


Today I visited a leprosy hospital. I'm being honest when I tell you I thought leprosy was a dark ages disease that was sure eradicated but for a few cases. Um no. There are at ;east five leprosy specific hospitals just in Bangladesh! And what I thought I knew about leprosy (highly contagious, limbs fall off) turns out to be old myths and totally not true! Wikipedia can give you the details, but it's a viral infection that if detected early enough, it can be treated. But unfortunately, early detection here isn't common.

And patients with leprosy? They like visitors.


Today was the first day of Ramadan here in Bangladesh, so the hospital was pretty empty as many patients had gone home to their families for the month. But the patients that were there were warm, accepting and patient as the bideshi visitors practiced our minimal Bangla! 

1 comment: