Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kolkata!

Last weekend Glenna, Caitlin and I did a fly by two day weekend trip to Kolkata, INDIA! It was my first taste of life outside Bangladesh since arriving, and it was oh so sweet! It's saying something about life in Chittagong, when you head to India for a reviving weekend!


India is a freeing and magical land! I didn't quite realise how 'mulsim-ified' Bangladesh is until spending a few days in India!

I had almost forgotten what it is like to be a tourist and walk ON FOOTPATHS everywhere, bare my shoulders and not wear a scarf, eat delicious street food, followed by a pint of beer AND LIVE MUSIC AT A PUB!  I know right, it's the little things.

To be honest, I didn't know much about Kolkata until I googled it a few nights before going. All I really knew was it was cheap and easy to get to from the 'desh, they had those big 'ol Cuba-esk 1960s yellow cabs, and Mother Theresa. Google filled me in: ..."No longer identified with slums, destitution, and the inspiring work of Mother Teresa, Kolkata has grown into the cultural capital of India. It's a vibrant yet intimate city full of captivating soul."   Is google ever wrong?

So my 36hours in Kolkata was spent:

Frolicking in the green parks

Pretending I was in Europe at the Queen Victoria Memorial

Watching people bathe in the Hooghly River

 Jump shots at Eden Gardens! ...must have just missed Ganguly

Visiting the Missionaries of Charity house and Mother Teresa's grave

 Taking local transport. ...although couldn't quite bring myself to get on the human pulled rickshaw!

and just general people-aren't-staring-at-my-every-action kind of fun!

India, I love you!

5 comments:

  1. What about the Bacon? Did you eat any of The Bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read down a bit more and saw you've already eaten it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I ate Bacon in Dhaka (glorious!) but was enjoying too much tasty veg street food in Kolkata, so bacon missed out :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful, makes me look forward to visiting Kolkata (& the 'desh) at year's end! Thanks for the update. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog Bridget!
    Kolkata looks like a lot of fun.
    Miss you and destiny.
    Love Jess Bev.

    ReplyDelete