Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bangla Wedding!


Last weekend I went to my very first Bangla wedding! And I actually knew the couple! ...which is not a weird as it sounds when a standard reception here has 500+ guests. Raihan (the groom) worked for the AYAD program in the Dhaka office, and I had met his lovely bride Archi once before. As you can see from the photos, Archi looked so beautiful! The henna and jewellery and saree - all gorgeous!

I just happened to be in Dhaka for the night of the wedding, and as it was my first Bangla wedding, I decided to go all out and have my hair and makeup done and saree wrapped at the parlor! (a very Bangladeshi woman experience!). And even though I felt overdone, once I arrived at the wedding, I felt like I fitted right in!

The actual evening was an elaborate affair that consisted of people taking photos with the happy couple, and photos with us.  And eating. Eating a lot. There was no dancing, drinking, music, speeches or cake, but there was a whole lot of biryani!

And that dear Internet, is a very Bangladeshi evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment