Saturday, April 28, 2012

Don't you get lonely?

Dhaka is a sensory sensation. Hot, humid, dirty, bright, smelly, noisy, chaotic. It's a place that is ridiculusly overstimulating for the eyes. There is not a 1 metre space where action isn't happening: men drinking tea at the chai stand, business men on mobile phones, children playing with bottle caps in the street, fancy women shopping, rickshaw waller peddling, staring eyes out bus windows, men washing on the footpath. It's a people watchers paradise!





On Thursday I had my first 'eating-a-whole-meal-with-my-fingers' experience with a few other volunteer friends and two Bangladeshi friends. In between trying to figure out how to get the meat off a chicken bone using only my right hand, and Katie trying to stay upright due to a bout of the Bangla-belly, a new Bangladeshi friend was asking about Australia.

"What's the population of your city?" he asked, "about 200,000" I replied. Akramn then roared with laughter and said ....  "don't you get lonely?!?!"






5 comments:

  1. Just read through all your blogs...So excited for you in this great adventure! You, of course, look fabulous in a sari, and amazing in all your other pics as well. Keep the updates coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finding the time to update us. We wonder where you are atm - in transit again yet? RA and RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mandy!! Love to you and your gorgeous four! :)

    I'm currently still staying at the hotel in Dhaka on orientation, I'm heading down to Chittagong on Tuesday afternoon. THen I'll have the rest of the week there to find an apartment and furniture, internet etc. I start work next Sunday 6th May! :)

    Bridge xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I see what you mean about my photogenicity in that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! A new Bridget blog! Love that you're off and away again, cos it means I get to read about your fun adventures! Only a little bit jealous ;)
    Good to hear you're doing well! Write more soon! (and love your pictures, too!)

    ReplyDelete