Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Finding home

After a fabulous 11 days of orientation and Bangla language learning in the capital Dhaka, today I flew with my new roomies, Katie and Glenna to Chittagong!

Glenna, Katie and I boarding the flight from Dhaka to Chittagong!

Ship wrecking yards in the Bay of Bengal, just outside Chittagong

Chittagong suburbia and the mighty Karnafuli River that runs through the city


I definitely had mixed feelings about leaving the 'comfort' of Gulshan (diplomatic zone of Dhaka), and saying goodbye to a large network of expats and volunteers, to move the 6 hours (on a good traffic day!) south to Chittagong. "There is NOTHING to do there" they all cried, "I hope you have a good book!"

But on the flight down from Dhaka my fears were replaced with nervous excitement as we flew over the green green fields, with water everywhere and we even saw some small hills!! (or "mountains" as the locals call them!) And stepping off the plane we were greeted with some rain and a slightly cool breeze! - which felt fabulous after the heat and pollution of Dhaka!


It hasn't even been 12 hours, but I'm excited and relieved to final be in my new home. Tomorrow, I'm planning on discovering it!

3 comments:

  1. Marky Mark and the Funky BunchMay 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

    Wow. Just wow. In every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Glenna and Katie Dad and I said hi. Would like them to be guest bloggers on day to introduce themselves. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Bridget's Mum and Dad. You can have a look at my blog at www.thebangersmash.blogspot.com, it's not as glam as Bridget's, I'm more of a details than a faces person :-) Thanks for the shout, Hi back! - Katie.

      Delete